Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I can't have Gluten, what the heck is that?

I was thinking today about how hard it was "back in the day" to find information on Celiac Disease and learning to live without wheat. That was about 15 years ago. There was not much available on the internet at that time let alone websites about having Celiac disease or being gluten free. I spent a lot of time at the library and in bookstores trying to get my hands on anything that I could that might help me learn to cook in a way that seemed completely foreign to me. The very first cookbook that I found was called The Gluten-Free Gourmet: Living Well without Wheat, Revised Edition. The inside cover says it was first published in 1990. I still use this cookbook. It is tattered and the pages are bent and soiled, much like my beloved Betty Crocker's Cookbook that came as a wedding gift. The basics of gluten free cooking and gluten free baking came to me from this book. There is nothing fancy about it. It is well written and to the point. It is as much a manual for the newly diagnosed Celiac or anyone who needs to be gluten free as it is a book full of recipes. The recipes are simple to understand and just as easy to put together. There is more information packed in this one little cookbook than most medical books I have found on the subject. If you are just entering the world of glutenless eating (not sure that's a word) you need this book. Don't be afraid, jump right in.

No comments:

Post a Comment