Wednesday, February 17, 2010

That Taste’s Really Good!

If you aren’t participating in a gluten free diet on a daily basis like those of us who have had the calling, then you might think what we must eat is bland, tasteless, unappealing, unappetizing, or any other negative word you can think of. Well, for your information, my gluten filled friend (or gluten free friend), a GF diet can be just the opposite. Of course, you see, I am completely biased in my opinion, as I have no choice but to be. Those of us with Celiac Disease or gluten intolerance must live without wheat, rye and barley. It’s just a fact of our lives.

What this really means is that I’ve learned to make the best of it. Fortunately for me I love to cook and bake. It’s what I do. It’s how I de-stress. Needless to say, it was very difficult back in the day, to adapt to this diet. In the early 1990’s GF foods were almost impossible to find. They did not exist in local stores. I learned how to use the Internet and shopped there. Unfortunately I live in the east and most of what I found had to be shipped to me from the west coast. Often times I would order bread only to have it arrive about a week later. My initial excitement of finally being able to have anything made into a sandwich quickly turned into a huge disappointment. You see pre-baked products usually arrived with mold already growing. Double trouble. I am also allergic to mold. I once bought a whole case of GF crackers. Who doesn’t like or need crackers? Well, when I opened up that case fast and furious I discovered that these crackers were not crackers…they were odd shaped pieces of cardboard that no one could possibly eat. What was I thinking? Live and learn. That case sat in my basement cupboard for a really long time. I do believe the birds enjoyed it.

I bought cookbooks. I studied anything I could get my hands on to learn the art of gluten free cooking and baking. It is an art and I was determined to master it. Using gluten free ingredients cannot compare in any way to using wheat containing ingredients. GF flours do not react the same way to yeast, baking soda, baking powder, etc. But, if you are just learning, no need to panic. Really good cooks and bakers have perfected the whole process. You can find a huge variety of gluten free cookbooks on the market today. Early on for me, the only book I could find was called The Gluten Free Gourmet by Bette Hagman. For me, this was THE book. I use it today. It is my go-to cookbook. It is important to realize that for the gluten free cook, you just need to think differently. What this means is that you must pre-think each and everything you cook and bake. If you are using a GF cookbook and following the recipe (and the rules), no problem. But if you’re like me, you like to formulate your meal as you go, which can get a little tricky. You need to have GF staples on hand at all times. I am not much of a planner-ahead kind of girl. I do tend to fly by the seat of my pants at the end of the workday. I love the concept of 30-minute meals. I am one to throw pasta & veggies with broth & wine into a deep skillet and see what comes out. I always have artichokes, canned tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted peppers in a jar and capers in the fridge. It’s all about flavor. Don’t forget spices. All kinds. And don’t be afraid to use them. Some of these ingredients might sound odd, but they will make your dish pop!

The point I am trying to make here is simply that GF cooking and baking is easy, or it can be, with a little practice and patience. You will have the occasional failed loaf of bread, cake or whatever. We all do, I still do. Just keep at it. Each try will get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment