Friday, February 26, 2010

Blueberry Crisp!


As I was waiting in the check out line today I was doing what I usually do while waiting in check out lines, looking at the magazines. Not the tabloids or the gossip mags, but the food magazines. You know, those little booklets usually on the top of the rack, or the popular ones down below, Rachel Ray, Paula Dean, Taste of Home, etc. Since I tend to focus on anything having to do with home cooking I usually look for something with the words “comfort food” on the front. There it was, screaming out to me to buy it. A food magazine called “Best Comfort Food, Feed Your Soul!”. I had to buy it. I collect cookbooks. It’s my personal addiction. I have too many but just cannot resist.

This one was worth it. It is full of classic comfort food recipes. After fixing my evening meal I realized that I didn’t have anything for breakfast. This makes me also realize how much I focus on food. I remembered that I had seen a recipe in this magazine for Blueberry Crisp. I have a freezer full of frozen blueberries from last summer. They are delicious and just waiting to be eaten. I decided to try out this recipe converting the ingredients to gluten free. I am providing the recipe for you to try and am happy to report that this dish, whether you enjoy it as breakfast as I will, or as a dessert or snack, is wonderful. It is quick to throw together and bakes in 30 minutes. I substituted Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose flour for the flour as well as gluten free oats, which is a staple in my cupboard. I also substituted Smart Balance Spread for the butter. I love the taste of Smart Balance, it is gluten free, and cholesterol is a problem so I use this product whenever I can.

It is important to note that this dish hit the spot as we are in the midst of yet another blizzard here in PA. I can’t think of anything I would rather have on a blustery winter morning than a steamy bowl of blueberries with an oatmeal crumble topping. I added a picture, of the blueberries, not the blizzard. Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment